Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hey Jude & the monster

I know I've blogged about it before, the ups and downs of the writing process. Especially the downward spiraling that happens in the middle of a story. But, to recap:
In every story I've written, I hit this place (and don't even see it coming until it's too late) where I feel like the story sucks, the scene I'm struggling with sucks, and well, pretty much, everything sucks. Which I know is not true because in general, I feel that my life most definitely does not suck. So, I know its the evil editor monster taking over my psyche. And the feeling only lasts a couple of days and then I wake up feeling back on top, ready to tackle that struggling scene and just KNOWING that the story I'm writing is, in fact, really good, and really special, and definitely worth writing.

I'm recapping all that because I just came back out of the funk of the downward spiral. Now, it doesn't help that I'm battling a cold (round 2 actually, I was sick a week ago, got better for like 2 days and then sick again. AARRGHH!) And I'm just hoping someone out there knows what I'm talking about and isn't thinking 'this chic is totally crazy' - because that's a whole other blog post. (Titled: "The multiple personalities required of being a writer")

And I was over at Kait Nolan's blog earlier and she posted a song/video that is sort of the muse to her character so I thought I'd do the same. I've had this song stuck in my head for DAYS because I heard it and it struck me as exactly Wes (the hottie from Dirty Blood, coming in March). It's also from the soundtrack Across the Universe, a Beatles inspired musical. It's an awesome movie, so if you haven't seen it, leave your house right now and get it, or open a new browser window and log on to Netflix, now. It's that good!




3 comments:

  1. Haha! I know exactly what you mean about the monster! I hate those days! I have been trying to get rid of her for a week! Glad that you are over that hump and can see the brilliant that is your story (because you know I love it like a 'lil fan girl! *squee*).

    Angeline Kace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Heather... A few years ago, I was a participant in this year-long intensive with seven other fictionaries and a mentor whose advance for his third book broke Canadian publishing records. He's a literary fiction writer, super smart, nerdy but adorable, all that stuff. And HE told us exactly what you are describing: there comes a point where you think it all sucks, where you want to walk away and catch the manuscript on fire and sign up for a lobotomy simply so you can get a decent night's rest. It happens to the BEST of them. It happens to all of us. Don't despair. Get some chocolate, run up and down the staircase a few times, and remind yourself that YOU are truly awesome. Or do what I do: cry into your pillow, call your shrink, go to the dollar store to see if they have any new rubber ducks in stock, and then hide in your car and OD on M&Ms. Works every time...

    Thanks for stopping in at Planet Jenn to say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm gonna try doing what you do: sounds way more dramatic and i like dramatic. =) Plus, the dollar store is my weakness. I always feel rich when i go in there. Hey- thanks for the encouragement. I'm adding your blog to my list. =) Feel free to stop by again (& again).

    ReplyDelete