Monday, August 1, 2011

I should be writing, not writing

I feel guilty a lot lately. Like no matter what I'm doing, I should really be writing. I'm only accountable to myself though and anytime that happens, its easy to fall off the wagon and justify stupid stuff. But seriously, its been hard to write this summer. As I'm sure all of you who have kids know. But its not just them. I wish I could blame it all on them. Its tempting. But its also me. I'm easily distracted and I love summer so if there's something fun to do, I get all "Oh, something shiny!" and toss the computer aside and grab the car keys and run. Even when I'm "working" in other ways, like checking my FB and Twitter and managing my giveaways and other stuff that I've dubbed as "work" so that I don't have to be specific when my kids want something and I have to get them to go away by saying, "Mommy's working". Even then, I still feel like I'm slacking. Just like I'm doing with this very blog post. Slacking. I'm not even writing about anything important or exciting. I'm writing about the fact that I should be writing.

But the fact is, I've gone and said something I can't take back. I've said, many times over now, that book 2: Cold Blood will be out by the end of the year. And even now, when I finally got serious and started putting in my 2k words a day, I'm still only about halfway done. I don't like that. I want to be all the way done because I require a lot of time for edits and rewrites to make myself feel better. And even though it might sound like no big deal to just change the release date, it is because I am the type that can't stand the thought of feeling like i lied. Also, for those of you who are coming into this late or just plain missed that post, I'm pregnant. And due in December. And I know that if I don't get this book out before baby comes, it won't get here til Spring. Or the ending will be really weird based on writing it when I was sleep deprived or something. So I have to finish. Which means I need to end this whiny blog post and go write.


P.S. Don't forget my Goodreads giveaway is going on until August 8 for a signed paperback of Dirty Blood. If you haven't entered, go now.




3 comments:

  1. LOL! Oh, yes, I can definitely relate to this!
    You'll get it done though, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    I am not pregnant (not even a little bit) and yet I can still relate with exactly what you are saying. We moved into our new place in June, and we've been trying to get our lives back to normal, but there's a LOT of stuff that needs to be put away, and we keep having these Minor Crises which seem to put writing on the backburner for far too long.

    The stupidest thing about this is that I have a novel completely finished except for final edits. I even have a cover.

    And yet I still am having trouble getting my butt in the seat to do some work.

    Anyway, best of luck to you and congrats on the baby! And keep on writin'!

    Best,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. @GP thanks girl! @Nicholas, okay good 2 know its not all my hormones. (But it is nice to have that to automatically blame stuff on, hehe) and seriously?! A finished novel?? Get a move on dude!! =)

    ReplyDelete