Friday, August 12, 2011

I spy a tease....

My living room looks sort of like an I Spy game right now. You know the ones; where there's a whole page FULL of clutter and you're supposed to find a fish, an eyeball, a yo-yo, and a Tootsie Roll wrapper... or something like that. Yeah, except in mine you would find the red marker, a gold pirate coin, (sadly, a fake) and maybe a AA battery.

Seriously, my living room floor is covered in coloring books, crayons, markers, (my 5 yr old's new favorite hobby- along with finishing everyone's sentence with "Your Mom.") the couch pillows, a knight's shield, a toy army tank, today's newspaper, a toy drum set, flip flops, a deck of cards, sunglasses, color-it-yourself posters, a monster truck, a washcloth, shorts.... and a partridge in a pear tree.

The thing you have to understand, though, is that my house is not usually messy like this. I'm not so much a neat freak as 'anti-clutter'. A product of a cluttered childhood home. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't dirty or gross or a hoarder house (my aunt teases my mother that she's a hoarder and she gets really pissy about it, kind of hilarious) or anything, but the house was small to begin with and there was just stuff everywhere. Magazines, knick knacks, toys, stuff you don't need but you can't throw away. Because of it, I am so anti-clutter that when stress gets to be too much, my therapy isn't just cleaning but throwing things away. Seriously. I'll feel much better if I can throw stuff away. The bigger it is, the better I feel. I don't know why.

And yes, somehow I still manage to own furniture.

(If I start to run low on potential trash, I might open a business that advertises me coming to your home and throwing away your clutter... backup career.)

Anyway my living room. Its the new I Spy. Not normal for me but then, it's summer, and I do have kids, and I just haven't really cared that much lately. Probably being sick for part of the week had something to do with it. And being pregnant. I don't have the jaw-set determination to do ALL the housework myself anymore. My kids (8 and 5) are doing more and more. Like laundry, and mopping, and dishes. And have you ever seen a 5 year old wash a pot and pan? Not exactly sanitary when it's finished. But I smile and put it away anyway and I don't bother rewashing it until right before I need to use it again. That way he thinks he did a great job. Besides, with baby #3 on the way, its high time I let go of all the OCDness that makes me do everything on my own. It's just not going to happen. I need help. And if help comes in the form of little midget fingers then so be it.

On another note, something exciting happening Monday so stay tuned. Major giveaways and fun news. I won't say any more because I've always been such a tease (just ask my 9th grade boyfriend) but you will like it and in the end, unlike him, you will be satisfied. Just check back on Monday. =)

Oh! I Spy a fly swatter!












Have you read this yet?

2 comments:

  1. As your pregnancy progresses, your nesting instincts will kick in and you'll be a cleaning machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i know but i still feel like it won't hit me quite as hard as maybe the first two did. I'm getting a lot better with chaos than I used to be. Maybe my priorities are shifting... or maybe I'm becoming my mother!! Anyway when the nesting happens, there'll be a post about that, I'm sure ;)

    ReplyDelete